Friday, June 22, 2007

Whistler Pro-78, Whistler XTR-690 Radar Detector Update

As I started off in my review of the Whistler Pro 78 and Whistler XTR-690 radar detectors, I knew that Whistler was serious about building high quality and affordable radar detectors, but I had no idea that they could be so quick to do so, as well.

NOT EVEN, a week has gone by since my review was initially published and already Whistler's engineering team has read it, acknowledged some of the issues I had observed, and has implemented changes in their firmware to address these issues as well as provide a couple of other surprises and goodies for us all to enjoy.

Some of these programming enhancements include:
  • Auto-Dimming [onset] delay

  • [Alert] display hold time

  • POP OFF [results in] sensitivity increase across all radar bands

  • Additional filter signatures to suppress [falses from] more radar detectors

I will be sending off my Whistlers to have them flashed/updated and will report my findings when I get some seat-time with them.

For once, I have met up with another company that can move at the speed at which I [sometimes] drive.

The future is looking very bright for Whistler, indeed, and it's a real pleasure to see the old guard make his re-appearance.

Welcome back.

4 comments:

Speedtrap Hunter OH said...

I know what you mean Bob. Whistler has SPOILED me with their responsiveness and ULTIMATE customer service. If they can keep this up WATCH OUT!

Anonymous said...

I just ordered an XTR-690 from Cricket Ventures linked from your page -- should this model include the latest updates from Whistler following your review?

Veil Guy said...

aron,

I doubt that models being shipped yet reflect the update. But with one of the best warranty periods in the industry as well as a very high level of customer services, you can always have your model easily updated.

To speak with a Whistler Customer Service Representative call: 1-800-531-0004 or 479-273-6012 and mention the XTR-690 and Pro-78 flash update.

If you run into an issue, be sure to drop me a line and I'll try to coordinate the change for you, Aron. Danny and Frank [from Cricket Ventures] can also help you, if you would prefer.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reply. I received my RD today and I'll be needing it next week on a trip up to Illinois. After that I'll contact Whistler regarding the updates. Thanks for the reviews/information.